I’ll take a break from the devotional to acknowledge Canadian Thanksgiving in a special way. In October’s issue of “Growing With Grace,” I invited my readers to shout out their thanksgivings to God. I’ve compiled their answers….
- Jesus, my Savior and Redeemer. Without Him, everything else loses its value.
- My family – husbands who make us laugh and cry and sometimes question our sanity, kids who make us laugh and cry and make us question our sanity.
- My daughter, who always has time for a kiss for me.
- My autistic son. God knew the incredible blessing our boy would become to us.
- For grandchildren.
- Being able to stay in touch with family and friends via email and Facebook.
- Being hungry only by choice, and having a nutritious selection of food every day.
- The lovely fall colors I see outside my bedroom window/on my daily walks.
- The wonderful children I get to care for every day (from a daycare provider).
- My church family
- My dog, who snuggles up with me when I sit or lie.
- The dried hydrangea flowers in my front garden that I can pick and keep all winter.
- The cooler nights that make sleep easier.
- Pretty earrings. They are a “pick-me-up” on an “I-feel-ugly” day.
- A second chance at life after having a kidney transplant in 2008 – and for my husband who without hesitation said, “Test me for compatibility.”
- The opportunity to participate in the ministry of Ratanak Foundation which rescues children sold into the sex trade in Cambodia.
- The ability to express myself in spoken and written words, in deeds, and in music, with hugs and smiles.
- The knowledge that I am loved by my faithful, loving heavenly Father and by countless family and friends.
- For a new and more comfortable place to live.
- The freedoms we have in this country. Right now, I appreciate most the freedom to homeschool our children, to keep them home and watch them learn and grow as we learn to live a Christ-honoring life together.
- To wake up in good health.
- For my daughter’s safety – she survived a roll-over accident last week.
- For my husband’s learning to speak new words daily after surviving a stroke three years ago.
- For a job to support my family.
- For being able to have a relationship with one granddaughter, especially after a broken family relationship made it impossible to spend time with my other grandchildren.
- For God’s ability to bring blessings from adversity.
- The beauty of children’s laughter
- The beauty of God’s endearing voice that whispers in our ears every day.
Here are a few thoughts of my own. I’m thankful for…
- Immediate and extended family members.
- Good health – eyes to see the beauty of creation, ears to hear a child’s giggle and birds sing, legs to walk, arms to hug.
- The privilege of having God’s Word in my own language.
- My friends from other cultures. Last evening we celebrated Thanksgiving with a Romanian congregation – a ton of fun!
- A warm house and a reliable car.
- Nice neighbors.
- Everyone who prays for me as I write and speak to women’s groups.
- Those who financially support me and my husband in our role as career missionaries.
I’m sure the list could go on and on for pages. What are you thankful for today?
BTW, you can subscribe to “Growing With Grace” by filling in the little box on the right side of my website home page.