Sometimes our lives look bleak compared to others. Then again, our lives look pretty good—all the time—compared to most of the world’s population. Still, when lousy stuff happens, the blahs sometimes take up residence in our attitudes. Sound familiar?
I read Psalm 31:19 recently and it blessed me in a major way. In response, I spent a few minutes listing the goodnesses God has lavished on me:
- friendship with Him
- forgiveness for sin
- inner peace
- physical strength to do what He’s called me to do
- a faithful, godly husband and a great marriage
- kids who enjoy spending time with us and each other
- grandkids who bring lots of laughter
- freedom to worship corporately
- a fruitful ministry in Eastern Europe this summer
- two new book contracts with Harvest House Publishers
- multiple upcoming speaking engagements to encourage women through His Word
- the ability to walk and exercise (my dad was paralyzed after a massive stroke and I’ve never taken my legs forgranted as a result)
- eyes to see
- ears to hear
- a home that provides shelter
- funds to replace our home’s old windows
- good neighbors
- a beautiful city park nearby where I can walk
The list goes on, but this is what it looks like for starters. Some might think my life is ideal, but let me assure you it’s not. It just feels that way when I focus on the gifts God’s given me. There’s no way the blahs can hang around when I choose this frame of mind.
Take a few minutes to list the goodnesses God has lavished on you. Then tell the rest of us, okay? We’d love to hear what you say.
Photo Courtesy: FreeDigitalPhotos.net