Happy Thanksgiving weekend to my Canadian readers! How will you spend it?
I look forward to having my daughters and one son-in-law visit. Eight friends will join us on Saturday for a traditional dinner—turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, yams, stuffing, and everything else yummy. We’ll eat, play table games, and talk about the things for which we’re grateful.
This week’s tragedy in Las Vegas has caused me to realize afresh that life is precious and that I am immeasurably blessed. Here are a few things for which I’m grateful today:
- I’m alive.
- My family and friends. They’re alive too. What’s sweeter than to love and be loved?
- My husband—a man of integrity and prayer.
- My house—a safe, dry, warm place in which to live and practice hospitality.
- My health, and an affordable gym nearby where I can exercise rain or shine.
- The godly women with whom I participate in a weekly Bible study. Their transparency and love for Jesus inspires me.
- My Bible and the freedom to read it openly.
- God’s promises. They’re my anchor, hope, and light.
- God reigns. It seems the world’s gone mad, but I need not fear because He is in control. Nothing can thwart His purposes. Nothin I agree with Kay Arthur who said, “God is in control, and therefore in everything I can give thanks – not because of the situation but because of the One who directs and rules over it.”
I thought you might enjoy several other quotes about gratitude by well-known Christian leaders. Take a few minutes this weekend to ponder their truth.
- C.S. Lewis – “We ought to give thanks for all fortune: if it is good, because it is good, if bad, because it works in us patience, humility and the contempt of this world and the hope of our eternal country.”
- Ravi Zacharias – “’Gratitude’ comes from the same word as freedom (gratis = free). Gratitude is the freeing expression of a free heart toward one who freely gave.”
- A.W. Tozer—“Gratitude is an offering precious in the sight of God, and it is one that the poorest of us can make and be not poorer but richer for having made it.”
Do you have a quote you’d like to share?
For what are you grateful this weekend?