Some people’s lives look ‘way too much like soap operas. Marriage breakdowns, family feuds, alcoholism, abuse, and crime cause major heartache and devastation for everyone involved. You know what the sad part is? This pain can often be avoided.
The secret’s found in Psalm 119:165—“Those who love your instructions have great peace and do not stumble.” It couldn’t be simpler. If you want inner peace, then do life God’s way. Doing so doesn’t guarantee a problem-free existence, but it does enable us to sidestep landmines capable of destroying our souls.
How does loving God’s instructions give us peace? Here are a few thoughts:
- Being faithful in marriage spares us the guilt and grief that cheating brings.
- Forgiving our offenders helps us avoid the danger of deep-rooted anger.
- Giving thanks in everything helps us sidestep bitterness and discontent.
- Treating others as though they were more important than ourselves makes others feel valued and loved, which enhances interpersonal relationships.
- Refusing to gossip makes it impossible for our words to return to bite us.
See how easily accessible peace is when we do life as God designed? This list could go on and on. What other ideas do you have?