How are you faring, my friend? How has COVID-19 affected your life?
I’m hunkered down in my boat-home, grateful for this out-of-the-way shelter. I’m even more grateful for the peace that comes from knowing this pandemic was no surprise to God. He didn’t wake up one morning and wring His hands in despair, alarmed at the day’s sudden turn of events. From before the beginning of time, He knew this would happen and when.
We’ve watched the coronavirus circle the globe, claim thousands of lives, and crash the economy. We’ve seen pictures of what’s happening in Italy, and we hear our government and health officials urging us to social distance lest Italy’s story becomes ours.
Voices, voices everywhere bear sad news. Bad news. No one can promise a favorable outcome because no one’s experienced anything like this. Uncertainty has become our reality, and fear grips us. How can we loosen its hold on us? How can we find courage for facing COVID-19? Here’s how…
By listening to God’s voice.
Psalm 85:8 has become especially meaningful to me in the past week. It says, “I listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying, for he speaks peace to his faithful people.”
Yes, I hear what the authorities are saying about frequent hand washing, not touching our faces, social distancing, and staying home. I hear what they’re saying about looking for ways to help our neighbors and support our medical service providers. Their words are good and necessary. They supply me with information and ideas so I can be part of the solution. But they don’t bring me courage.
Only God’s voice brings courage to face COVID-19, and I’m listening carefully to what He’s saying. Here’s a sampling:
- “When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.” (Isaiah 43:2NLT)
- “I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces.” (Psalm 34:4-5 NLT)
- “TheLord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.” (Psalm 18:2 NLT)
- “When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.” (Psalm 94:19 NLT)
- “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” (John 14:27 NLT)
Voices, voices everywhere, right? Some come from social media. Others come from within our own heads. I want to encourage you to turn down their volume and tune your ear to God’s voice instead.
Fill your mind with His words. Meditate on them. Write them on notecards and post them where you’ll see them often. Speak them aloud. Sing them. Personalize and pray them. Doing so will loosen fear’s grip and bring courage to face COVID-19.
#bgbg2 #NotafraidofCovid19 #Nofear #Couragetofacecovid19