One of my favorite old’ hymns is “Standing on the Promises,” written in 1886 by Russell Kelso Carter. The lyrics remind us that the storms of life will blow, but God’s promises enable us to stand on firm footing and face them with courage.
I especially appreciate the second verse:
“Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
by the living Word of God I shall prevail,
standing on the promises of God.”
The concept of standing on the promises of God is more than a lilting ditty that makes us feel good when everything around us looks bad. Standing on the promises of God is rock-solid truth based in Hebrews 6:15-18. You see, God cannot lie. When He says He will do something, He will do it. He can do nothing contrary to truth because He is truth by nature. But there’s another layer to why we can trust Him to keep His word.
God’s Oath to Us
God made an oath to keep His promises, and He did so by swearing on His own name. If we were to swear by someone’s name, we’d choose a person with higher authority and more influence than ourselves, and we’d be inviting him to hold us to our word. God swears by His name because there is no other name higher than His. He is the ultimate authority on earth and in heaven, and He sees to it that His Word is reliable and trustworthy.
My friend, standing on the promises of God is not just something we sing about. It’s a life-changing truth. The storm winds of life may threaten to topple us, but we stand firm because God’s Word cannot fail.
Seven Promises on Which to Stand
No matter what challenges you face today, God has equipped you to stand firm in the midst of them. Here are seven promises He will fulfill as you trust in Him and look to Him for help.
- He will deliver us from fear. “I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:4)
- He will never leave us. “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)
- He will guide us. “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- He will forgive us. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
- He will give us everything we need to live godly lives. “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence.” (1 Peter 1:3)
- He will give us rest. “Come tome, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:28-29)
- He will strengthen us. “He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:29-31)
Which of these promises resonates most with you today?
Find the hymn “Standing on the Promises” and the story behind it. https://www.godtube.com/popular-hymns/standing-on-the-promises/
#Godspromises #GodKeepsHisWord #GodCannotLie #Hope #Hopeful #BiblePromises