In the past four days, God has reminded me several times that He always keeps His promises. The first reminder came last weekend as I researched Hebrews 6:13-20 for a First 5 assignment.
Hebrews 6:13-15 refers to Abraham believing God’s promise to make him the father of countless descendants. Humanly speaking, this was an impossibility. He and his wife were old, and she was also barren. But impossibilities are possibilities for God, and He fulfilled His promise despite all odds.
Then the passage turns its attention to all believers. It encourages us to trust God to fulfill His promises to us, too. Here’s why.
First, God cannot lie. (Hebrews 6:18) If He says He will do something, He will do it. He can do nothing contrary to truth because He is truth by nature. But there’s another layer to why we can trust Him to keep His word.
God made an oath to keep His promises, and He did so by swearing on His own name. If we were to swear by someone’s name, we’d choose a person with higher authority and more influence than ourselves, and we’d be inviting him to hold us to our word.
God swears by His name because there is no other name higher than His. He is the ultimate authority on earth and in heaven. He stands on His word and will see to it that it comes to pass.
Understanding that God layers His promises with an oath encourages me to trust Him. It encourages me to pray in faith and to kick doubt to the curb.
So, what are some promises that God will bring to pass for those who trust Him?
- He will deliver us from fear. “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:4)
- He will never leave us. “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20)
- He will guide us. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- He will forgive us. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
- He will give us everything we need to live godly lives. “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence.” (1 Peter 1:3)
These are only a sampling of God’s promises to His children. Sometimes we read or recite them without giving serious thought to the serious commitment He puts behind them. We do well to remember that He cannot lie, and that He swears by His own name to stand by His word. We have no reason to doubt and every reason to be live in confident expectation, right?
Which of the five promises above resonates most with you today?
#Godspromises #GodKeepsHisWord #GodCannotLie #Hope #Hopeful #BiblePromises #ChristianDevotions #devotions